Following, or simultaneously to, the powering-up and calibration of the recording equipment and, if required, the creation of DAW session files, recordists should prepare the studio for the arrival of the performers. At this stage, whoever is responsible for the set-up (possibly the assistant engineer) should consult the session plan in order to gather information regarding:
• Musicians’ placement, including the use of microphone stands and baffles
• Transducer and backline selection and positioning (including rental-related information)
• Inputs and track allocation
• Headphone / Foldback mix and talkback requirements
• The distribution and arrangement of comfort or atmosphere-related items
• Instrument-related ...