Big data has come to the music business in a huge way. Nearly every aspect of the modern music industry relies on massive amounts of data, machine learning, and analytics to make better decisions faster. In this report, O’Reilly Strata + Hadoop World Chair Alistair Croll takes you on a tour of music science, a relatively new field staffed by data scientists, analytics experts, tastemakers, economists, and even game theorists.
Based on months of research and more than 70 interviews with scientists, founders, and artists, this report provides an overview of this multibillion-dollar venture. You’ll not only see where music science stands today—and where it’s headed—but get a tantalizing glimpse of what other industries will look like in coming years.
- Connected listening: the new supply chain from artist to listener
- The rise of metadata and the sheer volume of data associated with songs
- Recommendations and Pandora’s Music Genome Project
- Many ways to measure music consumption (and music consumers)
- Music science’s Turing problems, such as the problem of predicting hit songs
- How algorithms on listener preference need to learn quickly with fresh data
- What lies on the horizon for the music industry
Table of contents
1. Music Science
- Music Science Today
- How We Got Here: Arbitron and the First Age of Analytics
- From Artist to Ear: The New Supply Chain
- The Rise of Metadata
- A Matter of Taste: Recommendations
- What Are Music’s Turing Problems?
- On the Horizon
- Title: Music Science
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491932247
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Hands-On Music Generation with Magenta
Design and use machine learning models for music generation using Magenta and make them interact with …
Programming for Musicians and Digital Artists: Creating music with ChucK
Summary Programming for Musicians and Digital Artists: Creating Music with ChucK About this Book A digital …