Data-driven technologies are now being adopted, developed, funded, and deployed throughout the health care market at an unprecedented scale. But, as this O'Reilly report reveals, health care innovation contains more hurdles and requires more finesse than many tech startups expect. By paying attention to the lessons from the report's findings, innovation teams can better anticipate what they'll face, and plan accordingly.
Simply put, teams looking to apply collective intelligence and "big data" platforms to health and health care problems often don't appreciate the messy details of using and making sense of data in the heavily regulated hospital IT environment. Download this report today and learn how it helps prepare startups in six areas:
- Complexity: An enormous domain with noisy data not designed for machine consumption
- Computing: Lack of standard, interoperable schema for documenting human health in a digital format
- Context: Lack of critical contextual metadata for interpreting health data
- Culture: Startup difficulties in hospital ecosystems: why innovation can be a two-edged sword
- Contracts: Navigating the IRB, HIPAA, and EULA frameworks
- Commerce: The problem of how digital health startups get paid
This report represents the initial findings of a study funded by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Subsequent reports will explore the results of three deep-dive projects the team pursued during the study.
Table of contents
1. The “Six C’s”: Understanding the Health Data Terrain in the Era of Precision Medicine
- Complexity: Enormous Domain, Noisy Data, Not Designed for Machine Consumption
- Computing: Standards and Inter-System Exchangeability
- Context: Critical Metadata for Accurate Interpretation
- Culture: Lean Start-Up Difficulties in Hospital Ecosystems
- Contracts: Navigating IRB, HIPAA, and EULA Frameworks
- Commerce: How Do Digital Health Start-Ups Get Paid?
- Title: Navigating the Health Data Ecosystem
- Release date: May 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491927199
You might also like
Introduction to Python
Intrigued by Python? Learn how to get started with this popular language, whether you’re new to …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Fluent Python, 2nd Edition
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but often this means you aren’t using everything it …