Nine Steps to a Deal
Key Topics Covered in This Chapter
- Understanding your own and the other side’s interests and BATNA
- Identifying potential opportunities for value creation
- Determining the authority levels of both sides in a negotiation
- Understanding the people and the culture of the other side
- Preparing for flexibility
- Showing the fairness of one’s position
- Altering the process in your favor
EVERY IMPORTANT ENDEAVOR benefits from preparation. Negotiating is no different. People who know what they want, what they are willing to settle for, and what the other side is all about stand a better chance of negotiating a favorable deal for themselves, as the following example makes clear.
Laura, one of Phil’s best employees, requested ...