Network engineers are finding it harder than ever to rely solely on manual processes to get their jobs done. New protocols, technologies, delivery models, and the need for businesses to become more agile and flexible have made network automation essential. The updated second edition of this practical guide shows network engineers how to use a range of technologies and tools, including Linux, Python, APIs, and Git, to automate systems through code. This edition also includes brand new topics such as network development environments, cloud, programming with Go, and a reference network automation architecture.
Network Programmability and Automation will help you automate tasks involved in configuring, managing, and operating network equipment, topologies, services, and connectivity. Through the course of the book, you'll learn the basic skills and tools you need to make this critical transition.
- Programming skills with Python and Go: data types, conditionals, loops, functions, and more
- How to work with Linux-based systems, the foundation for modern networking and cloud platforms
- Data formats and models: JSON, XML, YAML, and YANG
- Jinja templating for creating network device configurations
- The role of application programming interfaces (APIs) in network automation
- Source control with Git to manage code changes during the automation process
- Cloud-native technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- How to automate network devices and services using Ansible, Salt, and Terraform
- Tools and technologies for developing and continuously integrating network automation
Table of contents
- 1. Network Industry Trends
2. Network Automation
- Why Network Automation?
- Types of Network Automation
- Evolving the Management Plane from SNMP to Device APIs
- Network Automation in the SDN Era
- Should Network Engineers Learn to Code?
- Using the Python Interactive Interpreter
- Understanding Python Data Types
- Adding Conditional Logic to Your Code
- Understanding Containment
- Using Loops in Python
- Using Python Functions
- Working with Files
- Creating Python Programs
- Working with Python Modules
- Passing Arguments into a Python Script
- Using pip and Installing Python Packages
- Understanding Python Classes
- Embrace Failure with try/except
- Parallelize your Python Programs
- About the Authors
- Title: Network Programmability and Automation, 2nd Edition
- Release date: May 2023
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781098110765
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
Hands-On Enterprise Automation with Python.
Invent your own Python scripts to automate your infrastructure About This Book Make the most of …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …