Appendix A. Glossary of Terms
• 3DES—Triple DES. See DES for further details.
• AAA—Authentication, authorization, and accounting (pronounced “triple a”).
• ACK—Acknowledgment bit in a TCP frame.
• ACL—Access control list. A list of rules that can be applied to traffic entering a network device or other computing resource. These rules are most often enforced based on the Layer 3 (L3) and Layer 4 (L4) information in a packet.
• AES—Advanced Encryption Standard. The newest standard for data confidentiality from the U.S. government. Over time, this will replace DES in most deployments.
• APNIC—Asia Pacific Network Information Center. A nonprofit Internet registry organization for the Asia Pacific region.
• ARIN—American Registry for Internet Numbers. ...