Mainframe computers play a central role in the daily operations of many of the worlds largest corporations. Batch processing is still a fundamental, mission-critical component of the workloads that run on the mainframe and a large portion of the workload on IBM® z/OS® systems is processed in batch mode.
This IBM Redbooks® publication is the second volume in a series of four in which we describe new technologies introduced by IBM to facilitate the use of hybrid batch applications that combine the best aspects of Java and procedural programming languages such as COBOL. This volume specifically focuses on the z/OS batch runtime.
The audience for this book includes IT architects and application developers, with a focus on batch processing on the z/OS platform.
Please note that the additional material referenced in the text is not available from IBM.
Table of contents
- Front cover
Chapter 1. Modernizing enterprise batch with hybrid Java/COBOL applications
- 1.1 What do we mean by a hybrid batch application
- 1.2 Procedural language or Java
- 1.3 Why hybrid batch applications?
- 1.4 Transition considerations
- 1.5 Introduction to z/OS batch runtime
Chapter 2. What is z/OS Batch Runtime?
- 2.1 Topology
- 2.2 Usage and invocation
- 2.3 Required software
- 2.4 Invoking z/OS Batch Runtime
- 2.5 Restrictions
- 2.6 Design considerations
- 2.7 Migrating a hybrid COBOL/Java application
Chapter 3. End-to-end development scenario
- 3.1 Software used in the scenario
- 3.2 Infrastructure setup
- 3.3 Setting up the development environment
3.4 Developing COBOL, Java, and JCL
- 3.4.1 Adding COBLOAN
- 3.4.2 Generating the JCL to compile, link, bind, and run COBLOAN
- 3.4.3 Creating the Java launcher and copying the JNI copybook
- 3.4.4 Creating the PdfCreator class
- 3.4.5 Compiling PdfCreator
- 3.4.6 Running COBLOAN in the container
- 3.4.7 Solution to reflect an exception in the return code
- Appendix A. Additional material
- Related publications
- Back cover
- Title: New Ways of Running IBM z/OS Batch Applications
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): IBM Redbooks
- ISBN: None
You might also like
Ubuntu Unleashed 2015 Edition: Covering 14.10 and 15.04, Tenth Edition
The Publisher regrets that the CD/DVD content for this title cannot be made available Online. Ubuntu …
The Linux Command Line, 2nd Edition
The Linux Command Line takes you from your very first terminal keystrokes to writing full programs …
ITIL® 4 Essentials: Your essential guide for the ITIL 4 Foundation exam and beyond, second edition
ITIL® 4 Essentials contains everything you need to know to pass the ITIL 4 Foundation Certificate, …
10+ Hours of Video Instruction Linux Fundamentals LiveLessons has more than 10 hours of comprehensive video …