Observability is critical for engineering, managing, and improving complex business-critical systems. Through this process, any software engineering team can gain a deeper understanding of system performance, so you can perform ongoing maintenance and ship the features your customers need. This practical book explains the value of observable systems and shows you how to build an observability-driven development practice.
Authors Charity Majors and Liz Fong-Jones from Honeycomb explain what constitutes good observability, show you how to make improvements from what you’re doing today, and provide practical dos and don’ts for migrating from legacy tooling, such as metrics monitoring and log management. You’ll also learn the impact observability has on organization culture.
- The value of practicing observability when delivering and managing complex cloud native applications and systems
- The impact observability has across the entire software engineering cycle
- Software ownership: how different functional teams help achieve system SLOs
- How software developers contribute to customer experience and business impact
- How to produce quality code for context-aware system debugging and maintenance
- How data-rich analytics can help you find answers quickly when maintaining site reliability
Table of contents
- 1. What Is Observability?
- 2. How Observability Relates to DevOps and Cloud Native
- 3. Observability-Driven Development
- Title: Observability Engineering
- Release date: December 2021
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492076421
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …
Kubernetes in Action
Kubernetes in Action teaches you to use Kubernetes to deploy container-based distributed applications. You'll start with …
Artificial Intelligence in Finance
Many industries have been revolutionized by the widespread adoption of AI and machine learning. The programmatic …