In this chapter you will learn to
• 051.3.1 Describe Various Types of Functions Available in SQL
• 051.3.2 Use Character, Number, and Date Functions in SELECT Statements
• 051.4.1 Describe Various Types of Conversion Functions That Are Available in SQL
• 051.4.2 Use the TO_CHAR, TO_NUMBER, and TO_DATE Conversion Functions
• 051.4.3 Apply Conditional Expressions in a SELECT Statement
The functions discussed in this chapter are commonly used built-in PL/SQL programs, packaged and supplied by Oracle. Some operate on numeric, date, and character data, while others convert data between the different scalar data types. Functions can be nested, and some functions are aimed at simplifying ...