308 ofﬁce x for macintosh: the missing manual
six big icons at the upper-left corner of the Entourage screen correspond to the
• Mail. This, of course, is the big Kahuna feature: email. This chapter covers the
Mail feature in detail.
• Address Book. Your electronic “little black book”—home to not just the email
addresses in your social entourage, but also phone numbers, home addresses,
and so on. The Address Book also features predeﬁned Address Book Views that
let you ﬁnd subsets of your data—every member of your family, for example. See
Chapter 10 for complete details on the Address Book.
• Calendar. Plan your day, your week, your month…if you dare, plan your year!
You can manage your schedule and track important events using the Entourage
Calendar. Once again, a set of Views can quickly show you only work- or family-
related events, recurring appointments, or whatever. See Chapter 9 for details.
• Tasks. Your to-do list. When you click this button, the right side of the screen
shows the list of tasks you’ve set up for yourself. See Chapter 9 to read everything
• Notes. Memo-pad-like musings that you can attach to names in your address
book, tasks in your to-do list, and so on. See Chapter 10 for details.
• Custom Views. The Custom Views button collects together all of Entourage’s
predeﬁned views for its Mail, Notes, Calendar, Address Book, and Tasks func-
tions, along with any views you’ve created yourself. More on Custom Views on
The Big Picture
In addition to the Folder list
and an email-speciﬁc toolbar,
Entourage has a List pane that
lists all of the messages in a
particular folder. There’s also
an information bar at the
bottom of the screen that
shows how many messages
are in a given folder, how
many are selected, and what
schedules (if any) Entourage
has on deck. Don’t miss the
Fonts tab in Entourage
General Preferences, where
you can specify the type size
and style you prefer for
reading your email and other
Function buttons Mail toolbarList pane
Folder list Information bar