Authors Imran Rashid and Soren Kenner have sparked an international debate by revealing the “mind hacks” Facebook, Apple, Google, and Instagram use to get you and your children hooked on their products.
In Offline, they deliver an eye-opening research-based journey into the world of tech giants, smartphones, social engineering, and subconscious manipulation. This provocative work shows you how digital devices change individuals and communities for better and worse.
A must-read if you or your kids use smartphones or tablets and spend time browsing social networks, playing online games or even just browsing sites with news and entertainment.
Learn how to recognize ‘mind hacks’ and avoid the potentially disastrous side-effects of digital pollution. Unplug from the matrix. Learn digital habits that work for you.
Table of contents
- Introduction: Offline
- Chapter One
- A Fire Upon the Deep
- Developing Bigger Brains Was an Evolutionary Gamble
- The Three Layers of Your Brain
- Prefiltering and Neuroplasticity: Your Adaptable Brain
- Is Your Consciousness Time-Shifted?
- To Be or Not to Be Conscious
- Out of Control
- Is Consciousness a Question of Being in the Spotlight?
- Models Are Not Reality
- The Hard Question of Consciousness
- The Social Brain
- The Billion Dollar Question
- Dopamine: Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll?
- Oxytocin: Humans Need Humans
- Does Your Family Suffer from Technoference?
- Being Able to Defer Gratification Is Crucial
- What We Actually Do Know about Impulse Control—And About Losing It!
- Do Smartphones Affect Human Self-Control?
- Chapter Four
- One Great Big Online Market
- B.J. Fogg and the Stanford Persuasion Lab
- Let's Take a Look at B.J. Fogg's Model as It Is Being Used Today…
- Your Phone Is a Slot Machine!
- What Do the Companies Targeting You See?
- Your Personality Can Be Predicted with Great Accuracy
- The Cambridge Analytica Scandal
- How You Are Captured and Converted
- Multivariate Testing—Helping Consumers Capture Themselves
- The Strange World of Tracking Pixels, Cookies and Remarketing
- All Aboard the Consumer Journey Train
- The Horrible Dark Patterns
- How Google Skews Your Search Results
- Stress, Low Self-Esteem, Anxiety and Sleep Disturbances
- Smartphones and Social Media Can Lead to ADHD in Adolescents
- Can Use of Social Media Be Addictive?
- When Addictive Design and Basic Human Social Traits Clash
- The Effects Are Not Just Physiological or Psychological
- Echo Chambers and Confirmation Bias
- When Confirmation Bias Leads to Cognitive Dissonance
- The Sharp Decline in Empathy
- The Changing World of Youngsters
- In Conclusion: The Road Ahead Is All About the Choices You Make!
- Making Changes Is Not Easy!
- Change Means Doing Things Differently
- Step 1: Life Stories
- Step 2: Mapping out Your Habits and How You Spend Your Time
- Step 3: Identify Triggers & Cues
- Step 4: Plan Your Countermove and Start Acting
- Troubleshoot Failure
- In Summary: It's Not Rocket Science, but It's Not All That Easy Either
- Teaching Your Children Sensible and Healthy Digital Habits
- The Underlying Psychological Principles
- Entering the Zone—Learning to Focus
- Deliberate Practice
- In Conclusion: It's Simple, but It's Not Easy
- END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
- Title: Offline
- Release date: February 2019
- Publisher(s): Capstone
- ISBN: 9780857087935
You might also like
Intro to Python for Computer Science and Data Science: Learning to Program with AI, Big Data and The Cloud
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
Tiny Python Projects
The projects are tiny, but the rewards are big: each chapter in Tiny Python Projects challenges …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …