Free and open source software continues to pop up everywhere, frequently taking over entire fields of computing. Consider how Linux, Hadoop, Docker, Kubernetes, and TensorFlow have changed the way companies produce software. Or why corporate giants such as Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, IBM, Intel, and Microsoft continue to be major contributors, even instigators, to many open source projects.
With this practical ebook, you’ll explore not only ways to use open source software in the enterprise, but also how to contribute code and expertise to the communities that cultivate and maintain it. Authors Andy Oram and Zaheda Bhorat then guide you through the process of launching an open source software project of your own. You’ll discover why organizations of every size and in every field need to include free and open source software in their strategies.
- Understand why many companies are turning to open source
- Learn how open source thrives on the power of community and shared practices
- Unmask several myths, including that “open source software is low quality or less secure”
- Examine the processes you need to adopt to successfully use open source code
- Participate in an open source project’s community
- Learn several ways to contribute to existing open source projects through code, funding, governance, and community-building
- Explore the steps you can take to launch your own open source project
- Connect to a comprehensive set of resources developed by members of the open source community to further shape your open source journey
Table of contents
Open Source in the Enterprise
- Why Are Companies and Governments Turning to Open Source?
- More Than a License or Even Code
- Groundwork for Understanding Open Source
- Adopting and Using Open Source Code
- Participating in a Project’s Community
- Contributing to Open Source Projects
- Launching an Open Source Project
- Open Source and the Cloud
- Title: Open Source in the Enterprise
- Release date: June 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492041979
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Docker in Action, Second Edition
Docker in Action, Second Edition teaches you to create, deploy, and manage applications hosted in Docker …
Kubernetes in Action
Kubernetes in Action teaches you to use Kubernetes to deploy container-based distributed applications. You'll start with …