So you're thinking of creating an open source community around your code? Here are some things you ought to know before you make your plans too firm.
- Community Types: There is no single "open source community." Rather, there are many groups of people gathered around many free software commons. Those gatherings are themselves of several different types; you really need to understand those differences.
- Payment at the Point of Value: Open source is of course free software. But the freedom you're finding brings you value varies depending on the role you play with respect to the software. "Free" doesn't mean the same to everyone.
- Open Core Is Bad For You: The "open core" business model is popular with VC-funded startup companies but does not deliver the core freedoms from which lasting business value for customers is derived.
- Transparency and Privacy: The key success factor in an open source community is the equality of all the participants. A strong community is characterized by high levels of transparency about the project coupled with strong respect for the privacy of the participants. Read why you should not impose your business model on anyone.
Table of contents
- Open Source Strategies for the Enterprise
1. Open Source Strategies for the Enterprise
- Community Types
- Transparency and Privacy
- Open Source Business Models: Open Core Is Bad for You
- Conclusion: Trade Control for Influence
- Title: Open Source Strategies for the Enterprise
- Release date: July 2012
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449341176
You might also like
Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA)
9+ Hours of Video Instruction Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) Complete Video Course provides more than 9 …
Software Architecture Fundamentals, Second Edition
Being a successful software architect is more than just possessing technical knowledge. It’s about thinking like …
Architecting Modern Data Platforms
There’s a lot of information about big data technologies, but splicing these technologies into an end-to-end …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …