After going through this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
- What is the importance of scheduling in operations management?
- How are operations scheduled in a flow shop? What are the well-known algorithms used for flow-shop scheduling?
- How is the scheduling of a job shop done?
- What are the operational control issues in mass production systems?
- How is scheduling done using the principles of the theory of constraints?
“Shop configuration” refers to the manner in which machines are organized on the shop floor and the flow pattern of the jobs utilizing these machines. Two alternative configurations—flow shop and job shop—are available for configuring machines in a ...