This chapter covers topics where an astute managerial choice can minimize uncertainties and improve overall performance for businesses affected by some form of waiting line behavior. The areas of consideration include the following:
- Variances in waiting line performance, which includes looking at variances from the customer and the business points of view plus estimating the risks of worst-case scenarios
- Waiting line cost factors
- Cost trade-off analysis
- Service improvement approaches
- Use of customer participation to reduce waiting and service time
- Waiting line configuration considerations
- Psychological factors (While difficult to quantify, these factors are significant considerations that are interlinked ...