Transform Big Data into Insight
"In this book, some of Oracle's best engineers and architects explain how you can make use of big data. They'll tell you how you can integrate your existing Oracle solutions with big data systems, using each where appropriate and moving data between them as needed." -- Doug Cutting, co-creator of Apache Hadoop
Cowritten by members of Oracle's big data team, Oracle Big Data Handbook provides complete coverage of Oracle's comprehensive, integrated set of products for acquiring, organizing, analyzing, and leveraging unstructured data. The book discusses the strategies and technologies essential for a successful big data implementation, including Apache Hadoop, Oracle Big Data Appliance, Oracle Big Data Connectors, Oracle NoSQL Database, Oracle Endeca, Oracle Advanced Analytics, and Oracle's open source R offerings. Best practices for migrating from legacy systems and integrating existing data warehousing and analytics solutions into an enterprise big data infrastructure are also included in this Oracle Press guide.
- Understand the value of a comprehensive big data strategy
- Maximize the distributed processing power of the Apache Hadoop platform
- Discover the advantages of using Oracle Big Data Appliance as an engineered system for Hadoop and Oracle NoSQL Database
- Configure, deploy, and monitor Hadoop and Oracle NoSQL Database using Oracle Big Data Appliance
- Integrate your existing data warehousing and analytics infrastructure into a big data architecture
- Share data among Hadoop and relational databases using Oracle Big Data Connectors
- Understand how Oracle NoSQL Database integrates into the Oracle Big Data architecture
- Deliver faster time to value using in-database analytics
- Analyze data with Oracle Advanced Analytics (Oracle R Enterprise and Oracle Data Mining), Oracle R Distribution, ROracle, and Oracle R Connector for Hadoop
- Analyze disparate data with Oracle Endeca Information Discovery
- Plan and implement a big data governance strategy and develop an architecture and roadmap
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- About the Authors
- Contents at a Glance
Part I: Introduction
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Big Data
Chapter 2: The Value of Big Data
- Am I Big Data, or Is Big Data Me?
- Big Data, Little Data—It’s Still Me
- Reality, Check Please!
- What Do You Make of It?
- Big Data, Big Numbers, Big Business?
- Wanted: Big Data Value
Part II: Big Data Platform
- Chapter 3: The Apache Hadoop Platform
Chapter 4: Why an Appliance?
- Why Would Oracle Create a Big Data Appliance?
- What Is an Appliance?
- What Are the Goals of Oracle Big Data Appliance?
- Optimizing an Appliance
- Oracle Big Data Appliance Version 2 Software
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 Hardware
- Where Did Oracle Get Hadoop Expertise?
- Configuring a Hadoop Cluster
- What About a Do-It-Yourself Cluster?
- Total Costs of a Cluster
- Time to Value
- How to Build Out Larger Clusters
- Can I Add Other Software to Oracle Big Data Appliance?
- Drawbacks of an Appliance
Chapter 5: BDA Configurations, Deployment Architectures, and Monitoring
- BDA Install and Configuration Process
- Critical and Noncritical Nodes
- Automatic Failover of the NameNode
- BDA Disk Storage Layout
- Adding Storage to a Hadoop Cluster
- Hadoop-Only Config and Hadoop+NoSQL DB
- Memory Options
- Deployment Architectures
- Installing Other Software on the BDA
- BDA in the Data Center
- Oracle Big Data Appliance Restrictions on Use
- BDA Management and Monitoring
- Chapter 6: Integrating the Data Warehouse and Analytics Infrastructure to Big Data
Chapter 7: BDA Connectors
- Oracle Big Data Connectors
- Oracle Loader for Hadoop
- Installation of Oracle Loader for Hadoop
- Invoking Oracle Loader for Hadoop
- Input Formats
- Oracle Loader for Hadoop Configuration Files
- Oracle SQL Connector for HDFS
- Installation of Oracle SQL Connector for HDFS
- HIVE Installation
- Creating External Tables Using Oracle SQL Connector for HDFS
- Hive Sources
- Oracle Data Pump Sources
- Configuration Files
- Querying with Oracle SQL Connector for HDFS
- Oracle R Connector for Hadoop
- Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop
Chapter 8: Oracle NoSQL Database
- What Is a NoSQL Database System?
- Oracle NoSQL Database
- Data Management
- Installation and Administration
- How Oracle NoSQL Database Stacks Up
- Useful Links
Part III: Analyzing Information and Making Decisions
Chapter 9: In-Database Analytics: Delivering Faster Time to Value
- Introduction to Oracle Data Mining and Statistical Analysis
- In-Database Statistical Functions
- Spatial Analytics
- Graph-Based Analytics
- Multidimensional Analytics
- In-Database Analytics: Bringing It All Together
Chapter 10: Analyzing Data with R
- Introduction to Open Source R
- Traditional R and Database Interaction vs. Oracle R Enterprise
- Oracle’s Strategic R Offerings
- Oracle R Enterprise: Next-Level View
- Oracle R Enterprise Installation and Configuration
- Using Oracle R Enterprise
- Oracle R Connector for Hadoop
Chapter 11: Endeca Information Discovery
- Why Did Oracle Select Endeca?
- Endeca Information Discovery Platform
- Endeca Information Discovery and Business Intelligence
- Unifying Diverse Content Sets
- Hands-On with Endeca
Chapter 12: Big Data Governance
- Key Elements of Enterprise Data Governance
- How Does Big Data Impact Enterprise Data Governance?
- Industry-Specific Use Cases
- How Does Big Data Impact Data Governance Roles?
- An Approach to Implementing Big Data Governance
Chapter 13: Developing Architecture and Roadmap for Big Data
- Architecture Capabilities for Big Data
- Architecture Development Process for Realizing Incremental Values
- Impact on Data Management and BI Processes
- Big Data Governance
- Developing Skills and Talent
Big Data Best Practices
- Align Big Data Initiative with Specific Business Goals
- Ensure a Centralized IT Strategy for Standards and Governance
- Use a Center of Excellence to Minimize Training and Risk
- Correlate Big Data with Structured Data
- Provide High-Performance and Scalable Analytical Sandboxes
- Reshape the IT Operating Model
- Chapter 9: In-Database Analytics: Delivering Faster Time to Value
- Title: Oracle Big Data Handbook
- Release date: October 2013
- Publisher(s): Oracle Press
- ISBN: 9780071827270