What doesn't RMAN backup, restore, and recover?
The following files are still considered critical, so here are a few comments on what their role is in the overall backup and recovery strategy for your organization.
- Online redo: Redo is archived for recovery
- Online undo: Usually not needed for recovery
- Temporary tablespaces: No need to backup; only used during queries
- Binaries: Multiple
$ORACLE_HOMESand standbys provide some redundancy
- Password files: Can be recreated; requires database cycle if password is changed
- Parameter files (pfiles): Can be recreated or a temporary one put into place
- Diagnostic destination: Restore from OS backups
- SQL*Net files: Can be recreated; may need to recycle database
- Block change tracking file: File recreated the next time ...