There are several platforms designed to help automate the tasks of running containers in Linux clusters. Learn to compare and contrast among a range of choices for orchestrating, clustering, and managing containers.
Why is it important?
This material collects the essential commands required to get started with a wide range of container-management platforms. The advantages and disadvantages of these are not immediately apparent, until you begin to compare their features in practice.
What you'll learn—and how you can apply it
Includes hands-on examples for beginning to work with Swarm, Fleet, Kubernetes, Mesos, Marathon, Tutum, Brooklyn, Rancher, and Clocker (for containers based on Docker and CoreOS). Learn how to differentiate among the several available platforms for orchestrating, clustering, and managing containers.
This training/tutorial is for you because…
- You're a systems administrator who needs to learn how to orchestrate, cluster, and manage containers
- You want to learn which container platforms compose together, and which combinations fit best for particular use cases
- Be familiar with at least one Linux distribution (e.g., Ubuntu, RHEL/CentOS, SUSE)
- Be familiar with basic Linux system administration tasks
- Be familiar with using Vagrant
- Understand the differences between a VM and a container
Materials or downloads needed in advance
- A computer running a 64-bit Linux distribution, or Docker running inside a VM
- Have Vagrant installed
This lesson is taken from Using Docker by Adrian Mouat.
- Title: Orchestrating, clustering, and managing containers
- Release date: August 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491966112
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
While Kubernetes has greatly simplified the task of deploying containerized applications, managing this orchestration framework on …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …