Fundbox is a growing fintech company that provides an automatic underwriting platform based on data and AI. While scheduling a limited number of data workflows is a generally manageable task, scaling to hundreds of data workflows with dependencies and diverse job types requires substantial customized engineering, complexity, and overall expensive resources. Serverless-based architectures offer an alternative to traditional resource management.
Tomer Levi explains how the data engineering team at Fundbox uses AWS Step Functions, Docker containers, and Spark to build a live, serverless data orchestration platform, focusing on the company’s decision to build a friendly, yet powerful and scalable solution. Tomer details AWS Step Functions state machines, their limitations, and how to overcome them by building custom job-scheduling and dependency features. He illustrates how resource bottlenecks were overcome using Docker containers and AWS Fargate. Fundbox’s architecture is scalable and already serves dozens of engineers, BI developers, and data scientists in the company.
- A basic understanding of serverless solutions
- Familiarity with the challenges introduced by enterprise architectures
What you'll learn
- Learn how Fundbox used AWS Step Functions, Docker containers, and Elastic Container Service (ECS) Fargate to build a serverless data workflow platform
- Understand key considerations from a data engineering perspective for deploying data workflow jobs
This session is from the 2019 O'Reilly Strata Conference in New York, NY.
- Title: Orchestrating data workflows using a fully serverless architecture
- Release date: February 2020
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 0636920372233
You might also like
Software Architecture Hour: Architecture Meets Data
Join us for a special conversation with Neal Ford and Mark Richards on software architecture, covering …
Software Architecture Superstream Series: Architecture Meets Data
With an eye to the future, many organizations have made the move to microservices as a …
AWS Step Functions for Optimization
Learn to use optimization techninques along with AWS Step Functions
Serverless architecture patterns: The awkward early years
The last two decades have seen evolutions of software architecture—from on-premises to cloud hosted to mass-scaled …