Fundbox is a growing fintech company that provides an automatic underwriting platform based on data and AI. While scheduling a limited number of data workflows is a generally manageable task, scaling to hundreds of data workflows with dependencies and diverse job types requires substantial customized engineering, complexity, and overall expensive resources. Serverless-based architectures offer an alternative to traditional resource management.
Tomer Levi explains how the data engineering team at Fundbox uses AWS Step Functions, Docker containers, and Spark to build a live, serverless data orchestration platform, focusing on the company’s decision to build a friendly, yet powerful and scalable solution. Tomer details AWS Step Functions state machines, their limitations, and how to overcome them by building custom job-scheduling and dependency features. He illustrates how resource bottlenecks were overcome using Docker containers and AWS Fargate. Fundbox’s architecture is scalable and already serves dozens of engineers, BI developers, and data scientists in the company.
- A basic understanding of serverless solutions
- Familiarity with the challenges introduced by enterprise architectures
What you'll learn
- Learn how Fundbox used AWS Step Functions, Docker containers, and Elastic Container Service (ECS) Fargate to build a serverless data workflow platform
- Understand key considerations from a data engineering perspective for deploying data workflow jobs
This session is from the 2019 O'Reilly Strata Conference in New York, NY.
- Title: Orchestrating data workflows using a fully serverless architecture
- Release date: February 2020
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 0636920372233
You might also like
Dominated by streaming data and events, the next generation of software development optimizes not only how …
The level of detail and pace are perfect for someone looking to tackle a complicated subject …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …