Timely advice for getting a grip on information overload in the workplace
This groundbreaking book reveals how different kinds of information overload impact workers and businesses as a whole. It helps businesses get a grip on the financial and human costs of e-mail overload and interruptions and details how working in an information overloaded environment impacts employee productivity, efficiency, and morale.
Explains how information?often in the form of e-mail messages, reports, news, Web sites, RSS feeds, blogs, wikis, instant messages, text messages, Twitter, and video conferencing walls?bombards and dulls our senses
Explores what we do with information
Documents how we created more and more information over centuries
Reveals what all this information is doing
Timely and thought-provoking, Overload! addresses the reality of?and solutions for?a problem to which no one is immune.
Table of contents
- Foreword: Fighting the Good Fight against Information Bloat
- A Note to the Reader
- Great Moments and Milestones in Information Overload History
Part I: How We Got Here
- Chapter 1: Information, Please?
- Chapter 2: History of Information
Chapter 3: Welcome to the Information Age
- Is Software Holding Us Back?
- The Tools We Use
- Mid-Nineteenth-Century Tools: Groundwork Is Laid
- Twentieth-Century Tools: The Foundation for the Information Revolution
- Breakthroughs in Productivity
- Online Collaboration Makes Its Entrance
- Enter Charlie Chaplin
- Enter the Office Suite
- An Office for the Twenty-First Century
- The Problem with Documents
- The Collaborative Business Environment
- Chapter 4: What is Information?
- Chapter 5: The Information Consumer
- Chapter 6: What is Information Overload?
- Chapter 7: The Cost of Information Overload
- Chapter 8: What Hath Information Overload Wrought?
- Chapter 9: The Two Freds
- Chapter 10: Beep. Beep. Beep.
- Chapter 11: Heading for a Nervous Breakdown
Part II: Where We Are and What We Can Do
- Chapter 12: Managing Work and Workers in the Twenty-First Century
- Chapter 13: Components of Information Overload
- Chapter 14: E-mail
- Chapter 15: The Googlification of Search
- Chapter 16: Singletasking
- Chapter 17: Intel’s War
- Chapter 18: Government Information Overload
- Chapter 19: The Financial Crisis and Information Overload
- Chapter 20: The Tech Industry and Information Overload
- Chapter 21: What Works Better When
- Epilogue: 2084: Our Future?
- About the Author
- Overload Stories: The Web Site
- Title: Overload!: How Too Much Information is Hazardous to Your Organization
- Release date: May 2011
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470879603
You might also like
The Intelligent Investor, Rev. Ed
More than one million hardcovers sold Now available for the first time in paperback! The Classic …
Storytelling with Data
Influence action through data! This is not a book. It is a one-of-a-kind immersive learning experience …
Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level
Compelling tips and tricks to improve your mental skills Don't you wish you were just a …
Information Overload: A System for Better Managing Everyday Data
World-class guidance on using information to achieve better performance Examining the characteristics of information and the …