When it comes to solving thorny UX design problems, two heads are better than one. That’s the premise behind pair design, the practice of having two designers work together on each aspect of a design project. In this report, two seasoned pair-design advocates explain how this feedback relationship works and what you need to implement pair design at your company.
Authors Gretchen Anderson and Christopher Noessel take you through each step of the process, describing how one designer generates possible solutions while the other critiques or synthesizes them. With this system of checks built in, the pair is able to provide continuous testing as the design unfolds. You’ll discover why people who get a taste for pair design often find it counter-productive to return to a “normal” routine.
With this report, you’ll learn:
- Why this practice benefits the team, the design, and the organization
- How pair design works in each phase of the project, including research, analysis, wireframing, and detailed design
- Case studies from Cooper, Pivotal Labs, GreatSchools, and Lab Zero
- Key traits necessary for each member of a successful pair design team, and ground rules for working together effectively
- What an organization needs to do to support pair design
- Answers to several frequently asked questions about this practice
Table of contents
Pair Design: Design Better, Together
- Why Pair Design?
- What Is Pair Design, and How Is It Different?
- How Does Pair Design Manifest Across User-Centered Design?
- What are the Benefits of Pair Design?
- Four Case Studies of Pair Design in Practice
- Beyond Pairing Two Designers
- Where Pair Design Lives and Thrives
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How Do I Hire for Pair Design?
- In Closing
- Title: Pair Design
- Release date: November 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491963913
You might also like
Product Design vs. Design Thinking
Product design tends to jump between business thinking and creative thinking, but design thinking blends them …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
The Pragmatic Programmer: your journey to mastery, 20th Anniversary Edition, 2nd Edition
"One of the most significant books in my life." —Obie Fernandez, Author, The Rails Way "Twenty …