Preparation for the Certified Penetration Testing Engineer (CPTE) examination
Penetration testing is the simulation of an unethical attack of a computer system or other facility to prove how vulnerable that system would be in the event of a real attack. The Certified Penetration Testing Engineer (CPTE) examination provides a widely recognized certification for penetration testers.
The fundamentals of penetration testing
This book is a preparation guide for the CPTE examination, yet is also a general reference for experienced penetration testers, ethical hackers, auditors, security personnel and anyone else involved in the security of an organization's computer systems.
Key areas covered include:
- The primary phases of pen testing – reconnaissance, enumeration, vulnerability assessment and the eventual launch of an attack.
- The preparation of the test report – what information to include in the report and how best to present it to the client.
- The introduction of new technology – how it can improve business operations (e.g. employee remote access, wireless communications, public-facing web applications), but, at the same time, create new vulnerabilities.
Focusing on the techniques
This book avoids a detailed analysis of the tools currently used by today's pen testers, which often come in and out of fashion, and, instead, focuses on the range of techniques employed by professional pen testers around the world.
The author draws on his wealth of experience and provides real-world examples to illustrate the most common pitfalls that can be encountered during both the testing phase and also when delivering the final report.
A successful penetration test not only discovers the vulnerabilities of a system but also determines the level of risk that those vulnerabilities pose to the organization. Readers of this book will gain a better understanding of how to conduct a penetration test, and also how to deliver a client-focused report that assesses the security of the system and whether the level of risk to the organization is within acceptable levels.
Who should read this book?
This book should be read by many, including Penetration Testers, or those studying for the CPTE Exam and Ethical Hackers. Penetration testing is an essential component in any ISO27001 ISMS – so Auditors, Security Officers and Security Personnel should also read this book to understand the vital role Penetration Testing plays in protecting organisations from cyber attacks.
A business-aligned approach to penetration testing - Better defend your systems, intellectual property and values with this essential guide!"
Table of Contents
- About The Author
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Penetration Testing
- Chapter 2: Preparing to Conduct a Penetration Test
- Chapter 3: Reconnaissance
- Chapter 4: Active Reconnaissance and Enumeration
- Chapter 5: Vulnerability Assessments
- Chapter 6: Hacking Windows® and UNIX
- Chapter 7: Launching the Attack
- Chapter 8: Attacking Web Applications
- Chapter 9: Preparing the Report
- Appendix 1: Linux
- Appendix 2: Encryption
- Appendix 3: Regulations and Legislation
- Appendix 4: Incident Management
- Additional Questions and Answers
- ITG Resources
- Title: Penetration Testing: Protecting Networks and Systems
- Release date: June 2012
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849283731