By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Explain why written performance appraisals are so important.
• Explain why writing performance appraisals are a useful tool for maximizing effective employer-employee relations.
• Describe the importance of establishing a format.
• Identify key writing dos and don’ts.
• Select appropriate language.
Very good managers often write extremely bad performance appraisals. Here is an example, taken from a written review prepared by Rob who is an intelligent, well-respected manager working for a Fortune 500 company. When asked how he would rate his review, ...