There has been a shift in HR from performance appraisal to performance management. A new volume in the SIOP Professional Practice Series, this book contains a broad range of performance management topics, offers recommendations grounded in research, and many examples from a variety of organizations. In addition to offering state-of-the-art descriptions of performance management needs and solutions, this book provides empirical bases for recommendations, demonstrates how performance management tracks and helps promote organizational change, and exams critical issues. This book makes an ideal resource for I/O psychologists, HR professionals, and consultants.
"In this comprehensive and timely volume, Smither and London assemble an exceptional collection of chapters on topics spanning the entire performance management process. Written by leading researchers and practitioners in the field, these chapters draw on years of research and offer a blueprint for implementing effective performance management systems in organizations. This volume is a 'must-read' for all those interested in performance management."
-- John W. Fleenor, Ph.D., research director, Center for Creative Leadership
Table of contents
- The Professional Practice Series
- Performance Management
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- The Professional Practice Series
- The Authors
- CHAPTER 1 - AN EXPANDED VIEW OF PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- CHAPTER 2 - ALIGNING PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT WITH ORGANIZATIONAL STRATEGY, ...
- CHAPTER 3 - PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS OF GOAL-SETTING THEORY TO PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
CHAPTER 4 - COACHING AND PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- Organizational Approaches to Coaching: Four Stages
- A Framework for Coaching and Performance Management
- The Manager’s Role
- Performance Management vs. Developmental Coaching
- The Role of Human Resources and Internal Coaches
- The Role of External Coaches
- Building a Culture of Coaching and Development
CHAPTER 5 - THE ROLE OF ON-THE-JOB AND INFORMAL DEVELOPMENT IN PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- Informal Learning and Human Capital
- What Is Informal Learning?
- Incidence of Informal Training
- Methodological Issues Associated with Informal Learning
- Characteristics of the Workplace That Enhance Informal Learning
- Characteristics of the Worker That Influence Informal Learning
- Performance Management, Work and Worker Characteristics
- Best Practices in Performance Management and Informal Learning
- Informal Learning and Development Planning
- CHAPTER 6 - MANAGING TEAM PERFORMANCE IN COMPLEX SETTINGS
- CHAPTER 7 - CEO PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- CHAPTER 8 - PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT IN MULTI-NATIONAL COMPANIES
- CHAPTER 9 - MANAGING CONTEXTUAL PERFORMANCE
- CHAPTER 10 - USING PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AS A LEARNING TOOL
- CHAPTER 11 - DIAGNOSING, UNDERSTANDING, AND DEALING WITH COUNTERPRODUCTIVE WORK BEHAVIOR
- CHAPTER 12 - FORCED RANKINGS: PROS, CONS, AND PRACTICES
CHAPTER 13 - TECHNOLOGY AND PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- Technology of the Past: What Role Has Technology Previously Played in ...
- Technology As an Enabler: How Does Technology Support the Goals and Purposes of ...
- Technology’s Role in the Process: How Does Technology Facilitate the Different ...
- Technology As a Challenge: What Complications Does Technology Create in the ...
- Taking Technology System-Wide: How Do You Implement a Technology-Based ...
- Technology Best Practices: What Are the Best Practice Recommendations for Using ...
- CHAPTER 14 - AUTHENTIC PERFORMANCE
CHAPTER 15 - ASSESSING PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS AND POLICIES
- Assessing Performance Management Programs and Policies
- Model Overview
- Assessment Point 1: Organizational Precursors
- Organizational Alignment
- Feedback Environment
- Formal Individual Growth Opportunities
- Compensation System
- Assessment Point 2: Training Evaluation at the Reaction and Learning Levels
- Assessment Point 3: Individual Precursors, Time 1
- Assessment Point 4: Evaluation at Individual and Department Levels
- Assessment Point 5: Organizational Precursors, Time 2
- Assessment Point 6: Individual Precursors, Time 2
- CHAPTER 16 - PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT OF THE FUTURE
- CHAPTER 17 - BEST PRACTICES IN PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- Name Index
- Subject Index
- The Editors
- Title: Performance Management: Putting Research into Action
- Release date: August 2009
- Publisher(s): Pfeiffer
- ISBN: 9780470493915
You might also like
The Employee Experience Advantage
Research Shows Organizations That Focus on Employee Experience Far Outperform Those That Don't Recently a new …
The Little Book of Big Management Theories
89 management theories from the world’s best management thinkers – the fast, focussed and express route …
Organizational Culture and Leadership, 5th Edition
The book that defined the field, updated and expanded for today's organizations Organizational Culture and Leadership …
The Little Book of Big Management Theories, 2nd Edition
101 management theories from the world’s best management thinkers – the fast, focussed and express route …