The Basic Elements of Perl Every Developer Should Learn
of Video Instruction
In this unique video package, renowned Perl author and speaker Peter Scott takes you through the fundamental elements of the Perl 5 language so that you have a strong foundation for creating robust Perl programs and learning more advanced aspects of the language.
Even if you’ve never run a Perl program before, you’ll learn what you need to know to get started on every popular platform. Scott advances through the language in a logical progression, from the basics of printing strings to the use of regular expressions for pattern matching and text manipulation. In between, he covers the core components of the language, demonstrating through many examples exactly how each one works. In the final lesson, he shows the power of Perl’s objects and modules for writing web programs. A uniquely valuable aspect of this video is Scott’s demonstrations of many common pitfalls and how to avoid them. You’ll learn a carefully crafted subset of the language that enables you to create powerful, robust programs while avoiding the traps that can result from learning Perl in the wrong sequence.
These practical, easy-to-use videos allow you to get the multimedia experience of a live instructor at your own pace—whenever you want. You get the benefit of Scott’s expertise as a decade-long Perl trainer and author of Perl Medicand Perl Debuggedat your fingertips, so you can get started on mastering Perl. After a few hours with this DVD, you will be gaining entry into the market of thousands of jobs managing millions of lines of Perl, the world’s most popular scripting language.
Looking for a better way to master today’s rapidly changing technologies? Want expert help, but don’t have the time or energy to read a book? Can’t find classroom training worth the money? Discover LiveLessons: self-paced, personal video instruction from the world’s leading experts.
LiveLessons are video courses, on DVD with a book supplement, that are organized into bite-sized, self-contained sessions—you’ll learn key skills in as little as 15 minutes!
Each session begins with well-defined learning objectives so you know exactly what you will learn in the lesson.
Follow along as your instructor shows exactly how to get great results in your real-world environment.
Peter Scott is the author of Perl Medic(2004) and Perl Debugged(2001), both from Addison-Wesley. A graduate of Cambridge University and former Jet Propulsion Laboratory developer, he’s been a Perl trainer since 1998 and taught Perl at top institutions as well as at prominent conferences such as the Open Source Conference and Software Development Expo. He lives in the Pacific Northwest with his wife Grace, two cats, and a loud parrot, and enjoys kayaking.
• Operating System: Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, or Mac OS X
• Multimedia: DVD drive, 1280 x 960 or higher display, and sound card with speakers
• Computer: 500MHz or higher, 128MB RAM or more
Table of contents
- LiveLessons Introduction 00:08:06
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Perl Programming: Your First Perl Program
- Lesson 2: Scalars and Conditionals: Manipulating Numbers and Strings
- Lesson 3: Arrays and Loops: Using Lists
- Lesson 4: Hashes: Sets and Lookups
- Lesson 5: Subroutines: Reusable Code
- Lesson 6: Output: Reading and Writing Files
- Lesson 7: Regular Expressions: Manipulating Text
- Lesson 8: Advanced Topics: Modules, Web and CGI Examples
- Appendix: Installing Perl: How to Get Perl on Your Machine
- Title: Perl Fundamentals (Video Training)
- Release date: March 2009
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780137013142