A complete introduction to photography, this book is an essential resource for students across the visual arts.
This accessible, inspirational guide explores the subjects and themes that have always obsessed photographers and explains technique in a clear and simple way. It introduces the work of the masters of the art as well as showing fresh, dynamic images created by young photographers from all over the world. The book also provides a valuable overview of careers in photography and a comprehensive reference section, including a glossary of technical vocabulary.
This second edition has been extensively updated, with a greater range of visual examples from master photographers and up-to-date information on digital photography.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- 1. Loading...
- 2. The Big Picture
3. The Bridge
- Finding inspiration
- Seeing things
- Creating your own projects
- The camera in the hands of artists
- In the digital age
- What makes a great photographer?
- What makes a great photograph?
- The world’s best-known pictures
- Trusting photographs
- A photographer’s responsibilities
- The snapshot
- The Lomo snapshot
- The camera – the time machine
- Beyond the print
- Where next for photography?
4. This Is A Camera, Now Go Out And Take Some Pictures
- The tools of photography
- The camera
- Selecting a camera
- Try these cameras
- The controls of the camera
- Focus – to infinity and beyond
- Aperture – the iris of the camera’s eye
- Shutter speed – all in the timing
- Exposure – bringing together aperture, shutter speed and focus
- Composition – order or disorder
- Black-and-white photography
- Colour photography
- Photography and light
- The photographic studio – Narnia
- Pictures without a camera
5. So You Want To Be A Photographer?
- Photo opportunities
- Photographer’s portfolio – marketing
- Fashion magazines
- Design groups and advertising agencies
- Further photo opportunities
- Being an assistant – the sorcerer’s apprentice
- What do you need to be a photographer?
- Art college and university
- Stock libraries
- Your archive
- Prints and limited editions
- 6. The Bible
- Title: Photography, 2nd Edition
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): Laurence King
- ISBN: 9781780670966
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …