For years, editorial and commercial photographer Zack Arias has
been a respected and trusted voice in the photography industry.
Known for his photography, his teaching, and his ability to connect
with photographers, Zack has long had an “open door”
approach to discussing his career–the ups and the
downs–and in so doing has provided a straightforward and
candid look inside the industry. By consistently showing great work
and offering helpful advice, he has built a large, loyal readership
that looks to him for guidance in navigating the currents of a
difficult and dynamic industry. Now, Zack finds yet another way to
cut through the noise and offer truly valuable information to those
struggling to make their way through the twists and turns of an
In Photography Q&A, Zack answers over 100 questions that he fielded directly from the public. These are questions that range across all aspects of the photo industry: gear, marketing, street photography, vision, pricing, branding, light, models, work/life balance, technical advice, and much more. From how to “put yourself out there” and start to get jobs, to how to get paid for those jobs when the client is slow to cut the check–and everything in between– Photography Q&A answers many of the pressing questions that photographers are asking, but until now have not been addressed. The book also includes intermittent “Visual Intermission” sections–where Zack discusses individual images that were milestones in his development as a photographer–as well as worksheets on topics such as pricing and costs that help photographers to “know their numbers.”
With all this material, and with insightful, honest answers that come straight from Zack’s experience as a photographer who has seen it all (or at least a lot of it), Photography Q&A is an essential resource for any photographer looking for the real answers to the real questions in the industry today.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- Small town fashionista.
- Follow footballers foodchain.
- The goal of personal projects.
- Feeling confident enough to start selling.
- How do you charge a band?
- Gettin’ paid in Cincinnati.
- Salon owner seeks slavery.
- Setting prices. The primer.
- Why grid a softbox?
- Artist’s statements and the innocence of trees.
- Comparing PCB strobes.
- Ain’t no money in live music.
- Kidnapped & Dumped. How to start.
- Band, label, or manager directing the shoot?
- Waves of anxiety.
- The Catch 22. Job or jump?
- How photography can kill your relationships.
- Underpriced and working.
- Posting pricing on your web site.
- Finding your style.
- Giving the files away.
- Giving the RAW files away.
- Questions to ask when making a bid.
- Which of your children do you love more? Portfolios.
- Genre jumping.
- What an art buyer wants to see in your book.
- Great photographers you should know.
- Videos of girls putting make-up on.
- Great excuses for my crappy web galleries.
- Using a light meter. Know your shit.
- Title: Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers.
- Release date: June 2013
- Publisher(s): New Riders
- ISBN: 9780133434644
You might also like
Creative Black and White, 2nd Edition
Black-and-white photography poses unique challenges; without color to guide the eye, contrast, lighting, and composition take …
Creative 52: Weekly Projects to Invigorate Your Photography Portfolio
A powerful portfolio involves so much more than just a strong grasp of the technical aspects …
The Daily Book of Photography
Designed for both the photography enthusiast and weekend warrior, this daily reader offers a broad look …
Dynamic Posing Guide: Modern Techniques for Digital Photographers
Tips, techniques, and inspiration for creating perfect poses Effectively posing the human body is a challenge …