The important stuff you need to know:
- Get up to speed quickly. Learn how to install PHP and MySQL, and get them running on both your computer and a remote server.
- Gain new techniques. Take advantage of the all-new chapter on integrating PHP with HTML web pages.
- Manage your content. Use the file system to access user data, including images and other binary files.
- Make it dynamic. Create pages that change with each new viewing.
- Build a good database. Use MySQL to store user information and other data.
- Keep your site working. Master the tools for fixing things that go wrong.
- Control operations. Create an administrative interface to oversee your site.
Table of contents
- PHP & MySQL: The Missing Manual, Second Edition
- The Missing Credits
- What PHP and MySQL Can Do
- What Is PHP?
- What Is MySQL?
- About This Book
- About the Online Resources
- Safari® Books Online
1. PHP and MySQL Basics
1. PHP: What, Why, and Where?
- PHP Comes in Two Flavors: Local and Remote
- PHP: Going Local
- Write Your First Program
- Run Your First Program
- But Where’s That Web Server?
2. PHP Meets HTML
- Script or HTML?
- PHP Talks Back
- Run PHP Scripts Remotely
3. PHP Syntax: Weird and Wonderful
- Get Information from a Web Form
- Working with Text in PHP
- The $_REQUEST Variable Is an Array
- What Do You Do with User Information?
4. MySQL and SQL: Database and Language
- What Is a Database?
- Installing MySQL
- SQL Is a Language for Talking to Databases
- 1. PHP: What, Why, and Where?
2. Dynamic Web Pages
5. Connecting PHP to MySQL
- Writing a Simple PHP Connection Script
- Cleaning Up Your Code with Multiple Files
- Building a Basic SQL Query Runner
- 6. Regular Expressions
7. Generating Dynamic Web Pages
- Revisiting a User’s Information
- Planning Your Database Tables
- Saving a User’s Information
- Show Me the User
- Revisiting (and Redirecting) the Create User Script
- 5. Connecting PHP to MySQL
3. From Web Pages to Web Applications
8. When Things Go Wrong (and They Will)
- Planning Your Error Pages
- Finding a Middle Ground for Error Pages with PHP
- Add Debugging to Your Application
- Redirecting On Error
9. Handling Images and Complexity
Images Are Just Files
- HTML Forms Can Set the Stage
- Uploading a User’s Image to Your Server
- Storing the Image Location in the Database
- Images Are for Viewing
- And Now for Something Completely Different
- Images Are Just Files
10. Binary Objects and Image Loading
- Storing Different Objects in Different Tables
- Inserting a Raw Image into a Table
- Your Binary Data Isn’t Safe to Insert…Yet
- Connecting Users and Images
- Show Me the Image!
- Embedding an Image Is Just Viewing an Image
- So, Which Approach Is Best?
11. Listing, Iterating, and Administrating
- Thinking about What You Need as an Admin
- Listing All Your Users
- Deleting a User
- Talking Back to Your Users
- Standardizing on Messaging
Integrating Utilities, Views, and Messages
- Calling Repeated Code from a View Script
- Flexible Functions Are Better Functions
- Standardizing and Consolidating Messaging in the View
- Building a Function to Call Two Functions
- Just Pass That Information Along
- 8. When Things Go Wrong (and They Will)
4. Security and the Real World
12. Authentication and Authorization
- Basic Authentication
- Abstracting What’s the Same
- Passwords Don’t Belong in PHP Scripts
- Passwords Create Security, But Should Be Secure
13. Cookies, Sign-Ins, and Ditching Crummy Pop-Ups
- Moving Beyond Basic Authentication
- Logging In with Cookies
- Adding Context-Specific Menus
14. Authorization and Sessions
- Modeling Groups in Your Database
- Checking for Group Membership
- Group-Specific Menus
- Entering Browser Sessions
- Memory Lane: Remember That Phishing Problem?
- 12. Authentication and Authorization
- 5. Appendixes
- About the Author
- Title: PHP & MySQL: The Missing Manual, 2nd Edition
- Release date: November 2012
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449325572
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
The PHP Workshop
Cut through the noise and get real results with a step-by-step approach to learning PHP programming …
PHP 7: Real World Application Development
Use new features of PHP 7 to solve practical, real-world problems faced by PHP developers like …