Whether you're in retirement, just getting ready to retire, or 5, 10, or 40 years out, this book can help you invest smarter your whole life and yes, plan better for retirement.
Harmful mythology abounds about retirement investing. Many retirees or soon-to-be retirees have heard a plethora of advice. Take 100 (or 120) and subtract your age to get your equity allocation, put the rest in bonds or cash. Buy only bonds. Buy only high dividend stocks. Or some combination! Buy equity-indexed annuities or some "guaranteed" income product. All examples of a potentially harmful myth many folks believe to be smart, strategic moves.
Investors believe preparing for retirement requires a radically different set of tools or a dizzying array of products. Navigating the world of retirement products and services can be a full-time job. But investing for retirement is, in practice, not much (if at all) different from investing. In Your Retirement Plan, Ken Fisher will give readers a workable strategy to either develop their own retirement investing plan or work more successfully with a professional to increase the likelihood of achieving long-term goals while avoiding common pitfalls. The book will include easy-to-follow steps like
How to think, correctly, about investing time horizon.
How to better figure how much income you need
How to determine if a portfolio can provide that income
How to figure how much to save each year to achieve retirement goals
What pitfalls to avoid
And more. . . .
In this retirement planning book that's not just for retirees, Fisher will hand readers the tools and confidence they need to better plan for the future.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1: What? Me? Retire?
- Chapter 2: My Goals Are . . . What?
- Chapter 3: The Secret Code—Asset Allocation or Benchmark?
- Chapter 4: Time Horizon—Longer Than You Think
- Chapter 5: What’s in a Return?
- Chapter 6: Getting That Cash Flow
- Chapter 7: Can I Get There?
- Chapter 8: Putting It All Together
- Appendix A: All Hail the Mighty Dow
- Appendix B: Cash Flow Versus Expenses
- Appendix C: Expense Categories
- Appendix D: Personal Balance Sheet
- About the Authors
- Title: Plan Your Prosperity: The Only Retirement Guide You'll Ever Need, Starting Now--Whether You're 22, 52 or 82
- Release date: October 2012
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118431061