The recipes in this chapter will show you how to control the database server directly. Database servers in the cloud do not give access to the privileges that are required to perform many of the actions listed in this chapter, but there are things worth considering if you want to understand what is happening under the hood.
This chapter includes the following recipes:
- An overview of controlling the database server
- Starting the database server manually
- Stopping the server safely and quickly
- Stopping the server in an emergency
- Reloading server configuration files
- Restarting the server quickly
- Preventing new connections
- Restricting users to only one session each
- Pushing users off the system
- Deciding on a design for multitenancy ...