PostgreSQL application scaling lifecycle
While every application has unique growth aspects, there are many common techniques that you'll find necessary as an application using a PostgreSQL database becomes used more heavily. The chapters of this book each focus on one of the common aspects of this process. The general path that database servers follow includes:
- Select hardware to run the server on. Ideally, you'll test that hardware to make sure it performs as expected too.
- Set up all the parts of database disk layout: RAID level, filesystem, and possibly table/index layout on disk.
- Optimize the server configuration.
- Monitor server performance and how well queries are executing.
- Improve queries to execute more efficiently, or add indexes to help accelerate ...