1.8 Power quality improvement techniques
Nonlinear loads produce harmonic currents that can propagate to other locations in the power system and eventually return back to the source. Therefore, harmonic current propagation produces harmonic voltages throughout the power systems. Many mitigation techniques have been proposed and implemented to maintain the harmonic voltages and currents within recommended levels:
• high power quality equipment design,
• harmonic cancellation,
• dedicated line or transformer,
• optimal placement and sizing of capacitor banks,
• derating of power system devices, and
• harmonic filters (passive, active, hybrid) and custom power devices such as active power line conditioners (APLCs) and unified or universal power ...