6. 100 Top Action Verbs for Presenters, Professors, Preachers, Poets, Playwrights, and Pundits Searching for Savoir Faire
(1) abandon; cede; demit; discard; relinquish; renounce; repudiate; resign; surrender (especially from a powerful position)
Word Used in Sentence(s)
(1) Many British kings abdicated their crowns.
(1) Abdicating the throne is a serious matter for a monarch.
(1) “Napoleon, pressured to abdicate by his marshals in 1814, declared, ‘Why is it always Wellington?’”
—Black, Jeremy. Military History, Volume 22, Issue 3, Spring 2010: pg. 66.
(1) “Power abdicates only under the stress of counter-power.”
—Martin Buber, German Jewish Biblical translator, philosopher, and interpreter (1878–1965)
Collocates to: duties, office, ...