If you've heard of Arduino or even used it in your own projects, you probably know that the AVR microcontroller is the brain of the Arduino. In Practical AVR Microcontrollers, you'll learn how to use the AVR microcontroller to make your own nifty projects and gadgets.
You'll start off with the basics in part one: setting up your development environment and learning how the "naked" AVR differs from the Arduino. Then you'll gain experience by building a few simple gizmos and learning how everything can be interconnected.
In part two, we really get into the goodies: projects! Each project will show you exactly what software and hardware you need, and will provide enough detail that you can adapt it to your own needs and parts availability. Some of the projects you'll make:
An illuminated secret panel
A hallway lighting system with a waterfall effect
A crazy lightshow
Visual effects gizmos like a Moire wheel and shadow puppets
In addition, you'll design and implement some home automation projects, including working with wired and wireless setups. Along the way, you'll design a useable home automation protocol and look at a variety of hardware setups.
Whether you're new to electronics, or you just want to see what you can do with an AVR outside of an Arduino, Practical AVR Microcontrollers is the book for you.
What you'll learn
How programming the AVR is different from programming an Arduino
How to use the Arduino IDE to program the AVR, and when to use AVR Studio
How to network your AVR devices and use them in home automation
How to add intelligence to your AVR devices
How to make games with AVR
Who this book is for
Beginning electronics enthusiasts as well as Arduino fans who want to go beyond the Arduino with the AVR microcontroller.
Table of Contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewer
Part 1: The Basics
- Chapter 1: A Brief History of Microcontrollers
- Chapter 2: Building Our AVR Test Bed
- Chapter 3: Arduino and the Naked AVR
- Chapter 4: Moving On!
- Chapter 5: Smarten Up!
- Chapter 6: Digitally Speaking
Part 2: The Projects
- Chapter 7: Introduction to the Projects Section
- Chapter 8: Project 1: Good Evening, Mr. Bond: Your Secret Panel
- Chapter 9: Project 2: Crazy Beams—Exercise Your Pet!
- Chapter 10: Project 3: WordDune
- Chapter 11: Project 4: The Lighting Waterfall
- Chapter 12: Moving to Mesmerize
- Chapter 13: Smart Home Enablers
- Appendix A: Common Components
- Appendix B: A Digital Electronics Primer
- Appendix C: Breadboards
- Appendix D: Serial Communications
- Title: Practical AVR Microcontrollers: Games, Gadgets, and Home Automation with the Microcontroller Used in Arduino
- Release date: October 2012
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430244462