Chapter 7. Linear and logistic regression
This chapter covers
- Using linear regression to predict quantities
- Using logistic regression to predict probabilities or categories
- Extracting relations and advice from functional models
- Interpreting the diagnostics from R’s lm() call
- Interpreting the diagnostics from R’s glm() call
In the last chapter, we worked through using memorization methods for prediction. In this chapter, we’ll talk about a different class of methods for both scoring and classification: functional methods. These are methods that learn a model that is a continuous function of its inputs (versus being a mere lookup table). This class of methods is especially useful when you don’t just want to predict an outcome, but you ...