The Internet of Things has captured the attention of industry, journalists, academics, policymakers, and the public. Many articles, books, and reports detail the economic and technological possibilities of a world full of connected sensing devices, but few provide an in-depth discussion of the IoT’s privacy implications, especially for a general audience.
This report addresses that gap by examining American and European privacy concepts, values, and methods and their application in the IoT. Dr. Gilad Rosner explores what’s at stake for society as IoT technology evolves, and reviews different frameworks that can be brought to bear on IoT privacy risks.
Despite sound bites and pundits declaring the death of privacy, it remains a vital, shifting conversation about values and norms relating to the flow of information. This report will help business leaders, policymakers, funders, and the public engage in a constructive dialogue about privacy at a time when connected devices are spreading throughout the human environment.
With this report, you will:
- Learn the various definitions of the Internet of Things
- Explore the meaning of privacy and survey its mechanics and methods from American and European perspectives
- Understand the differences between privacy and security in the IoT
- Examine major privacy risks implied by the proliferation of connected devices
- Review existing and emerging frameworks for addressing IoT privacy risks
- Find resources for further reading and research into IoT privacy
Table of contents
- What Is the IoT?
- What Do We Mean by Privacy?
- Privacy Risks of the IoT
- How Is Privacy Protected?
- Frameworks to Address IoT Privacy Risks
- Further Reading
- Title: Privacy and the Internet of Things
- Release date: October 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491932827
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Data Protection and Information Lifecycle Management
The Definitive Guide to Protecting Enterprise Data Your enterprise data is your most critical asset. If …
CISSP in 21 Days - Second Edition
Boost your confidence and get the competitive edge you need to crack the exam in just …
Hands-on Incident Response and Digital Forensics
Incident response is the method by which organisations take steps to identify and recover from an …