The Objective-C programming language continues to grow in popularity and usage because of the power and ease-of-use of the language itself, along with the numerous features that continue to be added to the platform. If you have a basic knowledge of the language and want to further your expertise, Pro Objective-C is the book for you.
Pro Objective-C provides an in-depth, comprehensive guide to the language, its runtime, and key API's. It explains the key concepts of Objective-C in a clear, easy to understand manner, and also provides detailed coverage of its more complex features. In addition, the book includes numerous practical examples--code excerpts and complete applications--that demonstrate how to apply in code what you're learning.
The book begins with an exploration of Objective-C's basic features and key language elements. After reviewing the basics, it proceeds with an in-depth examination of the Objective-C dynamic programming features and runtime system. Next the book covers the Foundation Framework, the base layer of APIs that can be used for any Objective-C program. Finally, new and advanced features of Objective-C are introduced and shown how they make the Objective-C language even more powerful and expressive.
Each topic is covered thoroughly and is packed with the details you need to develop Objective-C code effectively. The most important features are given in-depth treatment, and each chapter contains numerous examples that demonstrate both the power and the subtlety of Objective-C.
Start reading Pro Objective-C and begin developing high-quality, professional apps on the OS X and iOS platforms using the Objective-C programming language!
What you'll learn
Objective-C fundamentals and key language elements
Objective-C runtime system
Foundation Framework APIs
Objective-C advanced language features
Debugging with LLDB
Who this book is for
This book is geared towards intermediate to advanced developers who already have some Objective-C experience and want pro-level coverage of the language, including advanced Objective-C features, recent additions to the language, and practical usage of its core frameworks and APIs. It's also great for those developers not familiar with Objective-C that have done some C programming and also understand object-oriented programming concepts.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewer
- Chapter 1: Getting Started
- Chapter 2: Using Classes
- Chapter 3: Objects and Messaging
- Chapter 4: Memory Management
- Chapter 5: The Preprocessor
- Chapter 6: Expert Section Using ARC
- Chapter 7: Runtime System
- Chapter 8: Runtime Architecture
- Chapter 9: Expert Section: Using the Runtime APIs
- Chapter 10: Foundation Framework General Purpose Classes
- Chapter 11: Foundation Framework System Services
- Chapter 12: Foundation Framework Specialized Services
- Chapter 13: Foundation Functions and Data Types
- Chapter 14: Expert Section: Error Handling
- Chapter 15: Blocks
- Chapter 16: Objective-C Literals
Chapter 17: Concurrent Programming
- Concurrent Programming Fundamentals
- Challenges with Concurrency
- Shared Data
- Message Passing
- Concurrent Programming with Objective-C
- Language Features
- Message Passing
- Using Threads for Concurrency
- Operations and Operation Queues
- Implementing Concurrent Operations
- Using Operation Queues for Concurrency
- Grand Central Dispatch
- Choosing the Right API for Concurrent Programming
- Chapter 18: Key-Value Programming
- Appendix A: Language Elements
- Appendix B: Xcode Xposed!
- Appendix C: Using LLDB
- Title: Pro Objective-C
- Release date: September 2013
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430250500