Learn how to use the Processing programming language and environment to create Android applications with ease. This book covers the basics of the Processing language, allowing users to effectively program interactive graphics in 2D and 3D. It also details the application of these techniques to different types of Android devices (smartphones, tablets, wearables and smartwatches).
Processing for Android walks you through the steps of taking an initial idea to a final app. With this book, you will be able to write engaging apps with interactive visuals driven by motion and location information obtained from the device’s sensors; including health data from the wearer, like step count and heart rate.
An advantage of Processing for Android over more complex programming environments is the ability for users to focus on the interactions and visual output of their code rather than in the implementation details of the Android platform. This book goes through a comprehensive series of hand-on projects, ranging from simple sketches to more complex projects involving sensors and integration with larger apps. It also covers important aspects such as exporting your Processing projects as signed apps are ready to upload to the Google Play store and be share with the world!
What You'll Learn
- Write apps and live wallpapers for smartphones and tablets
- Design and implement interactive watch faces
- Create Virtual Reality experiences for Cardboard devices
- Integrate Processing sketches into larger apps and Android Studio
- Export projects as completed apps ready to distribute through Google Play Store
Who This Book Is For
Artists, designers, students, researchers, and hobbyists who are not necessarily Android experts, but are looking to write mobile apps that make creative use of interactive graphics, sensor data, and virtual reality.
Table of Contents
- 1. First Steps with Processing for Android
- 2. Drawing and Interaction
- 3. Sensors
- 4. Wearables and Watch Faces
- 5. 3D and VR
- Title: Processing for Android: Create Mobile, Sensor-Aware, and VR Applications Using Processing
- Release date: November 2017
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484227190