Web designers are no longer just web designers. To create a
successful web product that’s as large as Etsy, Facebook,
Twitter, or Pinterest–or even as small as a tiny
app–you need to know more than just HTML and CSS. You need to
understand how to create meaningful online experiences so that
users want to come back again and again.
In other words, you have to stop thinking like a web designer or a visual designer or a UX designer or an interaction designer and start thinking like a product designer.
In this breakthrough introduction to modern product design, Etsy Creative Director Randy Hunt explains the skills, processes, types of tools, and recommended workflows for creating world-class web products. After reading this book, you’ll have a complete understanding of what product design really is and you’ll be equipped with the best practices necessary for building your own successful online products.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
Section One: On Product Design
- Chapter 1. What Product to Design?
- Chapter 2. There’s Work To Be Done
Section Two: Think Like a Product Designer
- Chapter 3. Story First
- Chapter 4. No Dead Ends
- Chapter 5. Remember the Invisible Features
- Chapter 6. Effective Over Clever
- Chapter 7. Carrots, Not Sticks
- Chapter 8. Ship Early. Ship Often.
- Chapter 9. Rinse and Repeat
- Chapter 10. People Matter Most
Section Three: Get It Built
- Chapter 11. Change and Happiness
- Chapter 12. Use Whatever Works
- Chapter 13. Listen and Learn
- Chapter 14. Design Together
- Section Four: The Product is Never Done
- Title: Product Design for the Web: Principles of Designing and Releasing Web Products
- Release date: October 2013
- Publisher(s): New Riders
- ISBN: 9780133439267