Enterprise software product management is one of the most sought-after skills in technology today. This tutorial provides an insider's tip sheet on how to do this work with clarity and confidence. Whether you’re coming into PM from another business function, another field of software (like the consumer web), or from outside of the technology industry entirely, this course shows you exactly what you need to know to build, scale, and manage software products for the enterprise. You'll explore how PMs discover customer needs and pain points, gather market intelligence, and determine what needs to be built. You'll pick up the keys to working with your development and executive teams, and see why great product managers are not an organization’s sheepdogs, but their truth-tellers. You'll learn what success means for your product and how product managers should think about their future career plans.
- Get an insider's look at what enterprise software product managers are and what they do
- Explore the important differences between an enterprise PM versus a consumer PM
- Learn the critical, tactical skills every enterprise software PM must have to succeed
- Understand how the rise of SaaS radically transformed the product management function
- Discover the secrets of planning, building, and shipping winning enterprise products
Blair Reeves is a Product Principal at SAS Software who previously held senior product management roles at Demandware (now a Salesforce company) and IBM. A speaker, writer, and consultant on product management in enterprise software, Blair is a graduate of the University of Virginia and holds an MBA from Duke University.
Table of Contents
- Welcome to the Course 00:02:56
- What is a Product Manager?
Product Management Foundations
- Core Concepts of Product Management 00:01:57
- Product Management Foundations: Research
- Product Management Foundations: Development
Best Practices for Working with Development
- The Business of Product Management 00:01:28
- Identifying Your Product's Metrics of Success 00:02:14
- Understanding Your Product's Metrics of Success 00:05:27
- Understanding Your Product's Third-Party Influencers: Analysts 00:03:16
- Understanding Your Product's Third-Party Influencers: Journalists and Others 00:04:07
- Working with Marketing 00:05:59
- Working with Sales 00:06:57
Your Next Role After Product Manager
- What Comes After Product Management? 00:02:57
- Title: Product Management for the Enterprise
- Release date: May 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491989500