SQL Integration Services and SQL Server Reporting Services with Multidimensional BISM Models
What's in this chapter?
- Introduction to SQL Server Integration Services
- Creating an Integration Services package
- Automating exection of SSIS packages
- Monitoring SSIS package execution
- Introduction to Reporting Services
- Report Designer and Report Builder
- Report Server
- Creating a report on a relational database
- Creating a report on a multidimensional model
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) performs Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) tasks. SSIS is used for data integration of heterogeneous data sources to one or more destinations with the capability to apply transformations on the data based on business requirements. Integration Services is not just about integrating data from and into databases; it helps you to perform operations on files ranging from simple file search operations on disk to transferring files using FTP. It also enables you to write managed code and execute it as a script, and define and automate your complex business processes as routine or scheduled tasks. SSIS helps developers to develop their ETL tasks as packages using SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) and manage them efficiently. Finally, the SSIS extensible object model enables developers to build their own custom tasks and transform components that can be added to the SSIS platform.
SQL Server 2012 Integration Services introduces new capabilities for improving the experience of SSIS developers and administrators ...