Developing a Stream Interface Driver
WHAT’S IN THIS CHAPTER?
- Understanding stream driver development
- Implementing a string buffer stream driver
- Using the CEDriverWiz Stream Driver Wizard
- Exploring device and open driver context
- Accessing the registry from a driver
- Using stream driver test applications
- Using a stream driver with Power Management
This chapter considers aspects of the development of a stream driver in detail. After a quick review of the stream architecture, the sample stream driver project as installed with Compact 7 is covered. This chapter then presents a stream driver that implements a string buffer that can be written to and read from synchronously. It also implements some custom IOCTLs. The full source for this project is available and can be built and loaded without any further development. A wizard for creating stream drivers, CEDriverWiz, as available on Codeplex, is introduced and used to implement the same string buffer project along with a number of test applications. Finally, a stream driver with Power Management is implemented.