Today, the insights available through "big data" are potentially limitless – ranging from improved product recommendations and more well-targeted promotions to more efficient public agencies. In Profiting From the Data Economy, cutting-edge academic researcher, David Schweidel, considers the role that individual consumers, innovators and government will play in shaping tomorrow's data economy. For each group, the author identifies both what can be gained and what is at stake. Writing for decision-makers, strategists, and stakeholders of all kinds, he reveals how today's data explosion will affect consumers' relationships with businesses, and the roles government may play in the process. The book puts you in the shoes of individuals generating data, innovators seeking to capitalize on it, and regulators seeking to protect consumers – and shows how all these roles will be increasingly interconnected in the future. For analytics executives; senior managers; CIOs, CEOs, CMOs; marketing specialists, and analysts; and consultants involved with Big Data, marketing, customer privacy, or related issues. This guide will also be valuable in many business analytics, digital marketing, and social media courses and academic programs.
Table of Contents
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Praise for Profiting from the Data Economy
- Dedication Page
- About the Author
- Foreword: The Personalized and the Personal
- 1. Beyond Big Data
- 2. Building Businesses
- 3. Refining Practice
- 4. Improving Public Service
- 5. Today’s Data Economy
- 6. Cracks in the Foundation of the Data Economy
- 7. Harbingers of Change
- 8. In Need of Oversight?
9. The Race for Resources
- Want Consumer Data? Pay to Play
- Exchanging Products and Services for Consumer Data
- Data Acquisition Free-for-All
- Empowering and Informing Consumers
- Reshaping the Media Landscape
- Consumer Data as a Financial Asset
- Do We Need Regulators in the Data Economy?
- Education as Part of Data Regulation?
- Can Consumer Control Ensure Competition?
- Discussion Questions: Empowering Consumers to Regulate Access to Personal Data
- 10. What’s Next for the Data Economy?
- Title: Profiting from the Data Economy: Understanding the Roles of Consumers, Innovators and Regulators in a Data-Driven World
- Release date: October 2014
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780133819854