In this chapter you will learn about the following:
• Ethical dilemmas regularly faced by television, radio, and Internet programmers
• The thin line that separates a legal matter from an ethical one
• How the blending of news with entertainment has made ethical debates increasingly complicated
• Some “real life” case studies that reflect the complexities associated with programming ethics
• Guidelines instituted to address programming ethics
• Student interest in a required course in ethics as preparation for future entertainment careers
The way the story goes, the devil appeared to a network executive one day and said, “I’m going to offer you a deal. For the upcoming season, I will arrange it so that you can ...