Programming in Objective-C, Fourth Edition
Updated for iOS 5 and ARC
Programming in Objective-C is a concise, carefully written tutorial on the basics of Objective-C and object-oriented programming for Apple's iOS and Mac platforms.
The book makes no assumptions about prior experience with object-oriented programming languages or with the C language (which Objective-C is based upon). Because of this, both beginners and experienced programmers alike can use this book to quickly and effectively learn the fundamentals of Objective-C.
Readers can also learn the concepts of object-oriented programming without having to first learn all of the intricacies of the underlying C programming language. This unique approach to learning, combined with many small program examples and exercises at the end of each chapter, makes Programming in Objective-C ideally suited for either classroom use or self-study.
The fourth edition of this book has been updated to cover the significant changes that first appeared in iOS 5 and Xcode 4.2, including the use of Automatic Reference Counting (ARC) to improve and simplify memory management in Objective-C programs.
Table of Contents
- Developer’s Library
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewers
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- 1. Introduction
Part I: The Objective-C Language
- 2. Programming in Objective-C
- 3. Classes, Objects, and Methods
- 4. Data Types and Expressions
- 5. Program Looping
- 6. Making Decisions
- 7. More on Classes
- 8. Inheritance
- 9. Polymorphism, Dynamic Typing, and Dynamic Binding
- 10. More on Variables and Data Types
- 11. Categories and Protocols
- 12. The Preprocessor
- 13. Underlying C Language Features
- Part II: The Foundation Framework
- Part III: Cocoa, Cocoa Touch, and the iOS SDK
- Title: Programming in Objective-C, Fourth Edition
- Release date: December 2011
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780132900898