Master Windows 8.1/Windows Runtime Programming Through 80
This is the most complete, hands-on, solutions-focused guide to programming modern Windows applications with the Windows Runtime.
Leading Windows development consultants Jeremy Likness and John Garland present easy-to-adapt C# and XAML example code for more than 80 projects. Their real-world application examples help you apply Windows 8.1’s best improvements, including large tiles, the new search control, flyouts, command bars, native WinRT networking, and new deployment and sideloading options.
Drawing on their pioneering experience, they illuminate key areas of the Windows Runtime API, offering uniquely detailed coverage of encryption, cloud connectivity, devices, printers, and media integration. You’ll find cutting-edge tips and tricks available in no other book.
This is an indispensable resource for all intermediate-to-advanced Windows developers, and for any architect building desktop, tablet, or mobile solutions with Microsoft technologies. Its focus on both C# and XAML will make it valuable to millions of Windows developers already familiar with Silverlight, WPF, and/or .NET.
• Creating robust app interfaces with the newest XAML controls, including flyouts and command bars
• Saving data in a persistent “roaming zone” for syncing across Windows 8.1 devices
• Using Visual State Manager (VSM) to build apps that adapt to various device resolutions and orientations
• Integrating virtually any form of data into your apps
• Connecting with web services, RSS, Atom feeds, and social networks
• Securing apps via authentication, encrypting, signing, and single sign-on with Microsoft Account, Facebook, Google, and more
• Leveraging Windows 8.1 media enhancements that improve battery life and app performance
• Networking more effectively with Windows 8.1’s revamped HTTP implementation and new location APIs
• Using Tiles and Toasts to keep apps alive and connected, even when they aren’t running
• Enabling users to send content between devices via NFC tap and send
• Ensuring accessibility and globalizing your apps
• Efficiently debugging, optimizing, packaging, and deploying your apps
• Building sideloadable apps that don’t have to be published in Windows Store
“This book doesn’t just focus on singular concepts, it also provides end-to-end perspective on building an app in WinRT. It is one of those essential tools for Windows developers that will help you complete your software goals sooner than without it!”
—Tim Heuer, Principal Program Manager Lead, XAML Platform, Microsoft Corporation