Take control of your home! Automate home appliances and lighting, and learn about Arduinos and Android smartphones. Create applications that leverage ideas from this and other exciting new platforms.
In Programming Your Home, technology enthusiast Mike Riley walks you through a variety of custom home automation projects, ranging from a phone application that alerts you to package deliveries at your front door to an electronic guard dog that will prevent unwanted visitors.
Open locked doors using your smartphone. Assemble a bird feeder that posts Twitter tweets to tell you when the birds are feeding or when bird seed runs low. Have your home speak to you when you receive email or tell you about important events such as the arrival of visitors, and much more!
You'll learn how to use Android smartphones, Arduinos, X10 controllers and a wide array of sensors, servos, programming languages, web frameworks and mobile SDKs. Programming Your Home is written for smartphone programmers, web developers, technology tinkerers, and anyone who enjoys building cutting-edge, Do-It-Yourself electronic projects.
This book will give you the inspiration and understanding to construct amazing automation capabilities that will transform your residence into the smartest home in your neighborhood!
What You Need:
To get the most out of Programming Your Home, you should have some familiarity with the Arduino hardware platform along with a passion for tinkering. You should enjoy innovative thinking and learning exercises as well as have some practical application development experience. The projects use a variety of hardware components including sensors and actuators, mobile devices, and wireless radios, and we'll even tell you where you can get them.
Table of Contents
Programming Your Home
- For the Best Reading Experience...
- Table of Contents
- Praise for Programming Your Home
- Part 1: Preparations
Part 2: Projects
- Chapter 3: Water Level Notifier
- Chapter 4: Electric Guard Dog
- Chapter 5: Tweeting Bird Feeder
- Chapter 6: Package Delivery Detector
- Chapter 7: Web-Enabled Light Switch
- Chapter 8: Curtain Automation
- Chapter 9: Android Door Lock
- Chapter 10: Giving Your Home a Voice
Part 3: Predictions
- Chapter 11: Future Designs
- Chapter 12: More Project Ideas
- Part 4: Appendices
- You May Be Interested In…
- Title: Programming Your Home
- Release date: February 2012
- Publisher(s): Pragmatic Bookshelf
- ISBN: 9781934356906