6. Developing the Work Breakdown Structure
In This Chapter
• Clarify what a work breakdown structure (WBS) is and is not
• Understand why the WBS is considered the most important tool of the project manager
• Learn what makes an effective WBS
• Learn how to avoid the common mistakes when developing a WBS
If you were to ask anyone off the street what they think of when they hear “project management,” you are likely to hear “planning.” And if you further ask them what they mean by “planning,” you are likely to hear “schedule” or “work plan.” Yes, even to the uninitiated, people know that project managers plan and develop work schedules, if they do nothing else.
Yet, the process of understanding all the work that needs to be done and building ...