1 PROJECTS AND PROJECT WORK
When you have completed this chapter you should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the following:
• the definition of a project;
• the purpose of project planning and control;
• the typical activities in a system development life cycle;
• system and project life cycles;
• variations on the conventional project life cycle;
• transition strategies;
• the purpose and content of the business case;
• types of planning documents;
• post-implementation reviews.
A project may be defined as a group of related activities carried out to achieve a specific objective. Examples of projects include building a bridge, making a film and re-organising a company. The outcome of a project is usually ...