This is the digital copy of the printed booik (Copyright ©
With detailed scenarios, imaginative illustrations, and step-by-step instructions, consultant and speaker Norman L. Kerth guides readers through productive, empowering retrospectives of project performance.
Whether your shop calls them postmortems or postpartums or something else, project retrospectives offer organizations a formal method for preserving the valuable lessons learned from the successes and failures of every project. These lessons and the changes identified by the community will foster stronger teams and savings on subsequent efforts.
For a retrospective to be effective and successful, though, it needs to be safe. Kerth shows facilitators and participants how to defeat the fear of retribution and establish an air of mutual trust. One tool is Kerth's Prime Directive: Regardless of what we discover, we must understand and truly believe that everyone did the best job he or she could, given what was known at the time, his or her skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand.
Applying years of experience as a project retrospective facilitator for software organizations, Kerth reveals his secrets for managing the sensitive, often emotionally charged issues that arise as teams relive and learn from each project.
Table of contents
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Also Available from DORSET HOUSE
- Chapter One. Introduction to Retrospectives
- Chapter Two. Anatomy of a Retrospective: A Case Study
- Chapter Three. Engineering a Retrospective: Making Choices
- Chapter Four. Selling a Retrospective
- Chapter Five. Preparing for a Retrospective
- Chapter Six. Retrospective Exercises
- Chapter Seven. Leading a Postmortem
- Chapter Eight. Postmortem Exercises
- Chapter Nine. On Becoming a Skilled Retrospective Facilitator
- Chapter Ten. After the Retrospective
- Title: Project Retrospectives: A Handbook for Team Reviews
- Release date: July 2013
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780133488753
You might also like
The Pragmatic Programmer: your journey to mastery, 20th Anniversary Edition, 2nd Edition
"One of the most significant books in my life." —Obie Fernandez, Author, The Rails Way "Twenty …
Agile Estimating and Planning
Praise for Agile Estimating and Planning “Traditional, deterministic approaches to planning and estimating simply don’t cut …
Righting Software: A Method for System and Project Design
Right Your Software and Transform Your Career presents the proven, structured, and highly engineered approach to …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …